Our Functional Capacity Evaluation (FCE) is an intense one-day evaluation that focuses on the individual's maximum physical abilities. This is accomplished by utilizing a variety of objective tests in conjunction with the therapist's observation and interpretive skills. The individual is referred to us for the FCE, and our professional staff provides the testing. Our physical and occupational therapists have specific training and experience in biomechanics, ergonomics and task analysis. Physical abilities related to musculoskeletal strength, endurance, speed and flexibility can be determined. The types of tests used will vary with the objective of evaluation and referral question.
An FCE is appropriate when:
- The patient is nearing the end of therapy.
- There is a question as to whether an injured patient can return to a previous job.
- There is a request to determine any work restrictions.
- The injured worker's abilities are questionable.
- The patient is not a therapy candidate, is returning to work, but needs restrictions.
- There is a need to determine if further treatment is warranted.